Workshops for parents and carers of children young children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Early Days Workshops are for parents and carers of young children (aged 0 – 6) who have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), or who are currently undergoing a diagnosis. Amaze facilitates these workshops in Victoria.
There are a number of workshops offered by the Early Days team, including:
- My Child and Autism (Introductory Workshop)
- Understanding Behavior
- Encouraging Early Interactions
- Tips for Everyday Skills
- Progression to School
- Play and Social Learning
- Helping my Child Cope with Change
The My Child and Autism Workshop covers:
- Learn about ASD and what it means for your child and your family
- Learn practical strategies that can make a difference to your child’s development
- Learn how to navigate early intervention service.
The Understanding Behaviour Workshop covers:
- Understand why your child has behavioural issues
- Learn how to identify the purpose of your child’s behaviour
- Learn how to develop strategies
- Plan for success.
The Encouraging Early Interactions Workshop covers:
- Understand the critical building blocks for social interaction and communication
- Devise practical strategies that encourage social skill development
- Distinguish the importance of shared play creating common ground.
The Tips for Everyday Skills Workshop covers:
- Understand why everyday self care skills can be hard for children with ASD
- Teaching strategies for every day skills such as toileting, personal care, eating and sleeping as well as making an action plan to support your child.
The Progression to School Workshop covers:
- Understanding how to successfully prepare your child with the keys to succeed at school
- Funding Options for children over 7 years.
The Play and Social Learning Workshop covers:
- Children with ASD may play in ways that are different to their friends. It is during play that children build and refine their social skills.
- This short workshop helps participants understand why their child’s play is different and provides them with ideas to help the child develop:
Imitation and imagination
Creative play, playing with others & turn taking
Sharing & turn taking
The Helping My Child Cope with Change Workshop covers:
- Identify why change is challenging, and how it impacts on the behaviour of young children.
- Strategies to prepare my child for the changes of everyday life.
- The workshops will focus on changes within the family structure such as moving house, going to childcare and celebrations such as Christmas and birthdays.
Follow Early Days on Facebook
Early Days is a national initiative providing free workshops for families with ASD or suspected ASD, funded by the federal government’s Helping Children with Autism funding package. The Autism organisations around Australia deliver the workshops in their state.
If you have any questions about Early Days Workshops, please call the Early Days number on 1300 307 909 or email firstname.lastname@example.org