How do I make a submission to the Disability Royal Commission? 

The Disability Royal Commission is receiving submissions until 31 December 2022.

You can share your ideas by making a submission in any way that suits you, for example by:  

  • phone – you can make an appointment to share your story or ideas with a counsellor or social worker at the Disability Royal Commission (call 1800 517 199). 
  • writing – you can write a letter, story, report or presentation (send by email to [email protected] or post to GPO Box 1422, Brisbane Qld, 4001). 
  • in person – you can have a private session with a commissioner or go to one of the Disability Royal Commission’s upcoming public hearings. 
  • video or zoom – you can record a video or zoom meeting and then email it to[email protected] 
  • artwork or a song – you can share your experiences or ideas by any form of creative expression that suits you.   

There will be no rush. If providing your submission by phone, zoom or in person you can take as many breaks as you need or provide your submission over multiple sessions.  

The Royal Commission wants to hear from you, so please let them know what would work best for you. Also let them know any support or adjustments you need to share your story or ideas.  

For more information, please go to the Disability Royal Commission’s: 

Your Story’s resources may also help: 

How do I get started? 

To help you get started, the Disability Royal Commission has some Questions to help and Your Story has some Ideas for preparing your submission. These questions and ideas can help you get ready for a private session, phone chat or recorded submission, they may also help you to share your story or ideas in writing. 

The questions and ideas are only a guide, you do not have to answer all of them. It is not a problem if you don’t remember everything or if you can’t (or don’t want to) answer every question. Remember, you can share your story or ideas any way you want to. You can tell your story in order of what happened, you can talk about particular topics, or you may want to answer specific questions. Do whatever is best for you.  

To see how other people and organisations have shared their experiences and ideas, you can read submissions made by others or watch some DRC public hearings online.   

Please be aware that these submissions and videos contain stories of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation and may be upsetting or distressing for some people.  Free counselling and support is available if you are affected by these submissions or any work of the Disability Royal Commission. Find out more information about the support available.

Who can help me with my submission? 

If you want help to share your story or ideas with the Disability Royal Commission, or you have any concerns about making a submission, you can contact:  

  • Your Story on 1800 771 800. Your Story provides free, independent and confidential legal advice and help to people with disabilities (and their families and carers) to make submissions to the Disability Royal Commission. For information about how Your Story can help you share your experiences or ideas, see their easy read booklet or video –  Do you want to share your story with the disability royal commission? Lots of other resources (including easy read and videos) to support you to share your story or ideas are available on the resources page of the Your Story website.  
  • A counselling service, by calling the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 (and they will connect you to a counsellor). Or find and contact a counsellor in your local area on the Disability Royal Commission website. A counsellor can give you free, independent and confidential emotional and practical support while preparing or making a submission. This video and fact sheet explains how counselling and support services can help you.  
  • An advocacy group, by searching the Department of Social Services website to find a group in your local area. An advocacy group can help you to know your rights, work out problems, find communications supports and find other supports such as legal or financial services.  

If you (or a person you care for) has complex support needs (including complex communication support needs), we recommend contacting Relationships Australia Victoria or Drummond Street Services for practical and emotional support to make a submission.   

Back to top