SOCIAL SKILS GROUPS PROGRAM 2018
Term 1: 6-8 year olds
Term 2: 12-14 year olds
Term 3: 9-11 year olds
Term 4: pre-primary
VU Psychology Clinic is an established provider of Social Skills Groups for children with ASD diagnoses. Our staff are Provisional Psychologists in specialist training at Victoria University.
Each family has an individual assessment before the program starts. The groups are based on a manualised program, but are tailored to the specific needs of each group’s participants. Each group has 4-8 children and runs for 6 weeks.
The group aims to teach foundation skills required for everyday relationships including:
• Social interactions, greetings, farewells, non-verbal language
• Sharing, collaborative play, ‘joining in’
• Understanding and responding to bullying
• Emotional regulation and frustration tolerance
While children attend their group, parents participate in a separate group which focuses on implementing social skills strategies at home, and provides parents with a supportive peer environment to discuss topics including:
• Adjusting to parenting
• Practical mindfulness activities for parent-child relationships
• Behaviour management strategies
Groups are free of charge for eligible children.
Parents can refer their children directly by contacting the Clinic on (03) 9919 2353 or visit our website www.vu.edu.au/psychology-clinic