Funding of up to $12,000 is available to children aged zero to six diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Children must be Australian citizens or Permanent Residents of Australia, and families must apply for the funding before their child’s sixth birthday.
What is the application process?
Step 1: Call the Autism Advisor Line
Once you have a definitive diagnosis of an ASD for your child, you can contact the Autism Advisor team at Autism Victoria/Amaze. Sometimes your paediatrician will send us their diagnostic letter, but often they will give it to you to include in the information you send to us.
When you call the Autism Advisor team on 1300 424 499, you will speak to an Autism Advisor who will talk you through exactly what you need to send to us, and answer any questions you might have about applying for the funding.
Step 2: Complete the Application Pack
The Autism Advisor team will post an application pack to you (or you can download the forms on the links below). You will need to complete the application form and send it back to us along with the following documents:
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate (to confirm age)
- A copy of a rates notice or utilities bill in your name (to confirm residency)
- A copy of your child’s Centrelink reference number (CRN), found on their Health Care Card (please note, it must be your child’s CRN, not the family/parent CRN)
- A copy of the definitive statement of diagnosis of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder as classified by the DSM-IV. This includes Autistic Disorder, Asperger’s Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified, Rett’s Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. The definitive diagnosis must be made by a Paediatrician, Psychiatrist or a Multi-disciplinary team, and the diagnostic statement must be signed. If you are unsure whether your diagnosis fits these criteria, contact us to discuss further.
- Families must also sign consent for Autism Advisors to enter your child’s details onto the FaHCSIA Online Funding
Management System (FOFMS).
Step 3: Your Autism Advisor will contact you
Once we receive all the completed documentation, an Autism Advisor will be allocated to you. Your Autism Advisor will confirm your eligibility for the funding, and process your application in the government system. Your Advisor will usually contact you within two weeks, although during busy periods, it may take a little longer. Once your child is approved for the funding, your Autism Advisor will then send you the letter of eligibility to access the funding, and organise a consultation with you (either in person or over the phone, whatever you prefer) to explain how the funding works and to answer any questions you might have.
Step 4: Start putting your funding towards therapies for your child!
Application Forms and Information
The relevant forms can all be downloaded below. Please ensure you view all of these before submitting your application to the Autism Advisor team.
Helping Children with Autism Application Form (for Victoria only)