Do you want to know more about autism and employment?
Join us for a day of discussion and get valuable information about finding and keeping work.
You’ll hear from Malcolm Mayfield, author of “The Hidden Curriculum of Getting and Keeping a Job: Navigating the Social Landscape of Employment”, researcher and autistic person. Malcolm is also the founder and managing director of Autism STAR. You’ll also hear from Stephanie Crawford, a speech pathologist with over 20 years’ experience who now focuses on supporting autistic teenagers and adults to achieve their communication goals.
This event is suitable for autistic people considering looking for work or wanting tips on getting and keeping a job, as well as people supporting autistic people through employment.
You’ll hear about employment from the perspective of an autistic person, get tips on finding a job and doing job interviews, as well as the kinds of communications often needed in the workplace and how autistic people can prepare for this.
Malcolm Mayfield is the founder and Managing Director of Autism STAR Pty Ltd. He has worked as a researcher and contract administrator in the engineering and construction industries. Malcolm is also the author of “The Hidden Curriculum of Getting and Keeping a Job: Navigating the Social Landscape of Employment”. Malcolm Founded Autism STAR after his own autism diagnosis, with the aim to share his strategies for success with other autistic people.
Malcolm’s workshop will cover:
• What is the ‘hidden curriculum’?
• Finding a job – mentors, networking, social media, resumes
• Job interviews – attire, behaviour, answering difficult questions, online interviews, interview follow up, what are your rights in an interview.
Stephanie is a speech pathologist (Stephanie Crawford and Associates Speech Pathology) who has over 20 years’ experience in a range of settings including early intervention, education and private practice. Stephanie uses a strengths-based approach to support autistic teenager and adults to achieve their communication goals. Stephanie will cover:
• the hidden rules around communication in interviews and the workplace and strategies to manage these
• how challenges with executive functioning and abstract language skills can impact on the process of getting a job
• functional tips on preparing for an interview