This is BIG.
When the Australian Parliament resumes on 2 April 2019 (World Autism Acceptance Day), we’re expecting the Senate to vote on a motion supporting a National Autism Strategy for all of Australia. We need Australia’s senators to vote YES!
A National Autism Strategy will provide a targeted approach to support autistic people and drive inclusion, support and well-being of all autistic Australians. It will address:
- Diagnosis — make it easier to access and reduce waiting times
- Education — reduce the education disparity so autistic students can thrive
- Employment — create more pathways for autistic jobseekers
- Mental health — improve the understanding and support of individuals
- Autistic women and girls — invest more research and tailor NDIS support
- Life expectancy — educate healthcare professionals and increase autistic life expectancy
If the Senate votes no, it will slow the progress of this instrumental piece of policy work. That’s why we need your help.
Contact Victorian Senators and tell them that they MUST support the motion! Call them, email them, message them on social media — make sure your voice is heard and the message gets through.
If we all get to work, together, we can help take the first step to delivering a National Autism Strategy for Australia!
Below you’ll find the contact details of the Senators you need to contact to make real change for autism. You’ll also find some suggested subject lines, example social media posts and other helpful resources.
List of Victorian Senators
Phone: (03) 9639 2798
Phone: (03) 9890 7022
Richard Di Natale
Phone: (03) 9654 0430
Phone: (03) 9584 2455
Phone: (03) 9820 2222
Phone: 03 9232 8820
Phone: (03) 9374 1640
Phone: (03) 9348 9699
Phone: (03) 5441 4251
Phone: (03) 9384 6199
Phone: (03) 9326 1088
Example subject lines to use in an email
- Please vote yes to a National Autism Strategy on Tuesday 2 April 2019
- Will you vote yes on the motion for a National Autism Strategy?
- Victoria’s autism community is counting on you to pass the National Autism Strategy motion
- Share a status, photo or video on your Facebook page and tag the Senators you want to see it.
- Example: At least 164,000 Australians are #autistic. Unemployment is 6x higher than ppl w/out disability. Worst education outcomes of any group. @[Victorian Senator Twitter handle] will you vote yes on the motion for a National Autism Strategy? www.australianautismalliance.org.au/election2019 #Change4Autism